Saturday, September 24, 2011

Battling a Cold

Well here it is.  My first official battle with an illness sans big pharma.  I had to go out of town and Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible sore throat and sinuses feeling like they were on fire.  I used some of my SinuOrega and Sovereign Silver nasal spray, thinking it was just sinus stuff, and took some kali bic and allium cepa.  By the time I got up for work in the morning I felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck.  I knew I was running a fever, even though I didn't have a thermometer.  You know that weird tingly burning feeling you get on the skin of your face when you're sitting by the fire?  That was what I had and my face was pretty flushed.  I have no doubt it was running pretty high.

After listening to Robert Scott Bell's show when he's discussed fevers multiple times, I knew this was actually a good sign.  I don't think I've had a fever when I've been sick since I was a kid.  It is interesting to actually experience the whole "you're finally strong enough to have a fever" thing.  Fortunately I keep homeopathic phosphorus in my purse for my occasional sinus headaches and popped some under my tongue once I realized I was running a fever.  I also had some white willow bark tincture in my purse, and since my head was really hurting along with my throat, I mixed up some of that in a bit of water and drank it down.  It really did help with the throat and headache.  Then I took some Sovereign Silver orally, holding it under my tongue for 30 seconds, and gargling it back in my throat before swallowing.

Midday I ran to get some Zicam zinc lozenges, as I've had good luck with it before, and some Elderberry juice that had zinc, propolis and echinacea mixed in.  I continued to take this along with the silver, phosphorus, kali bic and allium cepa several times a day.  By day 2, the inflammation in my throat and sinuses had gone down and my voice was much better, minus the plegm flopping down on my vocal cords as it drained out of my sinuses.

I did have a little intestinal mischief with all the drainage, but I really think that the daily dose of chia seeds and Dr. Ohhira's probiotics saved me there. It never turned into diarrhea like it normally does when my sinuses go nuts.  I am seriously in love with chia seeds now.

My fever finally went down on day 3 (Friday), but I was still tired from all my traveling for work this week.  Today I'm spending the day resting and recovering.  I've been blowing stuff out of my nose today like crazy, and I think that's a good sign.

It's been a rough few days being sick and exceptionally crazy days at work that I just couldn't miss, but I've done amazingly well with no pharmaceutical intervention whatsoever.  My body seems determined to fight it.  Before I would have been fighting my body with drugs to suppress the fever, suppress the sinuses working to clean themselves out, and all that.  I can't say that it sucks any less being sick, but I seem to be a lot less sick and the symptoms seem to be resolving themselves faster than they would have in the past.  Now all I need is sleep, sleep, and more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment