Sunday, June 5, 2011

Baby Broccoli with Hemp Seeds and Ghee

It's been tough finding new ways to prepare foods to keep things interesting, especially as I'm trying to keep my foods raw as much as possible.  When I discover a new recipe I'm going to post it here.

Since I have discovered that even cultured butter makes me sick now, I decided to try ghee and have had no problems.  Ghee is simply butter that has been heated to remove the water and milk solids, and has no lactose.  I used Purity Farms Ghee because it is organic.  Their website has a lot more information about the process of making ghee from butter. 

Tonight I prepared some raw baby broccoli using ghee that was awesome.  I imagine this would work well with steamed broccoli as well, but it's hot out and I didn't want to cook it!  It's really simple and only takes a few minutes.  With the addition of the hemp seeds for protein, this really makes for a complete meal.

Ingredients:
Bunch of raw baby broccoli
1-2 tbsp. ghee (also called clarified butter)
2 tbsp. hemp seeds
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Melt the ghee to a liquid and pour over the raw broccoli.  Then add the hemp seeds and toss everything up really well.  The ghee will cause the hemp seeds to stick to the broccoli and give it a nice buttery taste.  Then just put a little of the Himalayan sea salt and fresh ground pepper on it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment